Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Zookeeper's Wife

Last night one of my granddaughters was “grandma” sitting to relieve my daughter from night duty.  And she wanted to entertain me with a film as it was a hot day and I was not able to sleep early. “The Zoo keeper’s wife”  sounded like  a nice film.  With quite a variety of animals that appeared at the beginning  we thought it would be a   light and entertaining  film after all the depressing news of the commemoration of our Nakba seventy one years ago.  

Ironic indeed;  the film was about the Nazi atrocities in Poland, and we were curious enough to watch it till the end, and of course we could not help but empathize with the victims.   However, I was not surprised when my granddaughter said:  “It is unbelievable that after what they have gone through, they would turn around and do what they are doing to us.” 


Indeed it is unbelievable.  And what is furthermore unbelievable is while the holocaust is over,  our  Nakba is still ongoing and the perpetrators refuse to admit responsibility or pay the price, while compensation for the holocaust never seems to end.  Thanks to the US administration for its never ending moral and financial support to the State of Israel and for shielding it for its non-compliance with United Nations resolutions.  Sometimes my friends wonder how I keep holding on to hope; In fact I wonder my self.  But when justice is on your side, you cannot lose hope.     

No comments:

Post a Comment