Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Analogy

I could not help but make an analogy between the fully armed Israeli police with the bulls of Spain.  The moment the Palestinian flags went up by the Jerusalem community gathered in front of the morgue to carry the  coffin of  Shireen Abu Akleh to church, the police stormed the hospital and started beating the people right and left.  The sight reminded me  of how the bulls charge the moment they see the red flag.

 

The brutality was beyond description.  I could not but wonder,  “how long Dear Lord, how long?”  How many more Palestinians need to be killed and imprisoned before the International community, and especially the USA, will rise  up to its responsibility beyond mere concern?  Even when they kill our people we are not allowed to mourn them with dignity.  Everybody watched how the coffin almost fell on  the ground as the police were beating the young men carrying it. I do not think any Palestinian martyr during all those long years of occupation had crowds of Christians and Muslims praying together  as they did for Shireen’s  soul   to rest in peace.  “Al-Fateha,” as well as the “Lord’s  prayer”  were recited  She represented all Palestine.

 

A specific verse  of Bob Dylan’s song “Blowin’ in the wind”  came back to me this evening as I was writing this:  “How many years can some people exist before they’re allowed to be free?  The answer my friend is blowing in the wind”  I hope not after all that suffering and dispossession of seventy four years.  However, I hope and pray that  Shireen’s assassination will be the spark that will light the torch of our freedom and the end of this brutal occupation

No comments:

Post a Comment